A Barbados car rental is a convenient way to explore this island that is 21 miles long and 14 miles wide. This eastern Caribbean Island attracts about an equal number of cruise and hotel visitors each year. The capital city of Bridgetown on the southwest coast of the island has both an airport and a cruise port. Either way, visitors will have plenty of car rental agencies to hire.
Most of the hotels on the island are directly south or north of Bridgetown on the west coast of the island. So, hotel visitors will need a car or excursion to reach many of the island’s attractions.
The island is big enough that a car rental in Barbados will make sense for anyone who wants to explore the beaches and other attractions. Although a shore excursion offers the convenience of transportation, a car rental offers greater freedom and more places to visit. Major island attractions include Andromeda Botanic Gardens, six public golf courses, and Harrison’s Cave.
Barbados Driving Tips
Driving in Barbados can vary from other countries. If you prefer to rent a car in Barbados, it’s useful to know some basic rules and driving tips if you are planning to drive there. A-Team Car Rentals has come up with this guide for its customers to read before they start their road trip.
Standard legal limits include:
- City areas – 40 km/h
- Rural areas – 60 km/h
- Major highways – 80 km/h.
Here are some driving rules and tips that you should be aware of before you start driving in Barbados.
- Drive on the left-hand side
- Seat belts are compulsory in Barbados for both drivers and passengers
- Using mobile phones while driving is prohibited, with the exception of a hands-free system.
- Children below 5 years of age must have an appropriate child seat.
- At roundabouts, approach cautiously and follow the signs and road markings carefully.
So, before you start driving in Barbados, make sure that you are aware of all the road regulations.
THINGS TO CARRY ALONG
It is compulsory to carry the following things with you when driving in Barbados:
- International driving permit
- Insurance documents
- Full UK’s driver license
- Local road map as the roads can be confusing to drive around
HOW TO GET A GOOD DEAL WHEN RENTING A CAR IN BARBADOS?
- Check currency exchange rates
- Compare prices
- Consider having insurance protection to cover the insurance excess
- Check the condition of the car during check-in and check-out
- Read the terms and conditions carefully
We hope this piece of information will help you get acquainted with the roads and culture when driving in Barbados. Most of all, we want you to stay alert and make the most of your experience while traveling on the island. Make sure to rent a car in Barbados in advance and enjoy your time in our tropical paradise!